Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Desk Makeover

My friend Caryn gave me an old school desk and she totally inspired me to give it a makeover. 
 Here it looks just like the desks I sat at in elementary school, waiting for it's cubby to be filled with rainbow and heart shaped erasers and #2 pencils. That nostalgia (and a little bit of laziness) tempted me to leave it as is.


But reading Trey and Lucy and Lemonade Makin' Mama gave me the inspiration and courage to try a little spray paint therapy.  (Those girls spray paint everything!)


I didn't understand the attraction until I stood quivering in awesome wonder in the spray paint aisle at the hardware store.  You can spray paint anything!  Your refrigerator.  Your barbecue.  Plastic toys.
 
After a little sanding, I spray painted everything black.  After it dried, I spray painted the writing surface of the desk in an almond color. 


After it dried, I had a cathartic experience beating up the edges and sanding away spots here and there to reveal the first coat of black underneath, giving it a nice worn look. (Thank you again LMM!)  Then I finished it off with two coats of satin polycrylic.


A wood and metal schoolhouse chair is waiting in the wings for it's matching makeover, but for now, the desk is all ready to impart some learnin' to some little ones!


Andrea is hosting Thrifty Thursday on her lovely blog Rural Revival (one of my very favorites!). You can go there to check out other great thrifty finds and show off your own!

13 comments:

Alice said...

Oooh! Looks great! xxx

Unknown said...

It does look great! You're inspiring me, I need to check out the spray paint section, soon! : )

Catherine Anne said...

I LOVE it!!! Looks great

Dana said...

Great job!!! I love the desk!

Jackie said...

ooohhhh, I love to spray paint things. My husband looks a little worried when he sees me with a can of spray paint. Love your school desk makeover...very cute!

Jackie

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

I have several old school desk and just love using them in different places!

I *heart* spray paint; and your blog!

xo, misha

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Love it! I wanna do that to my kitchen cabinets.
~ingrid

Heart2Heart said...

Elle,

Oh I love how wonderful this all turned out. I can't wait to begin scouting my garage sales to see if I can find one too!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

southerninspiration said...

Love it!!! I bet it will come in handy!

Suzanne

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it! good job! Is Bug starting home-school preschool?

:)

Seizing My Day said...

Fabulous!! spray paint sort of scares me... and I don't think I am good at it! =) otherwise I would be crazy spray painting my world! ha ha!

Dandy said...

No way! That looks amazing and I love the vintage look!

Relyn Lawson said...

WAY better. Love this!