Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Rocks and a Red

The coop is complete (except for paint) and the time had come to acquire some residents for the Sunny Side Up Hut!


So yesterday we went to the feed store and picked up two Barred Plymouth Rocks and one Rhode Island Red.


The kids were head over heels in love with them, instantly!


I wondered if the names we had picked out a while ago would stick.  


They did not.  
This is our Rhode Island Red.  Her name is Red.  Officially, Rosie Red.  Or Rose Red.  But we just call her Red.  Little Red.  Or Ole Red.


Here are our two Barred Rocks.  Their names have yet to be decided.  Gracie is pushing for Daffodil and Tulip.  


I love their fuzzy bottoms!


This video is of the transition from carrier to coop for the first time.  I love the cautious clucking from Red as she takes her first steps into the coop.  And the kids' sweet encouragement.


4 comments:

McVal said...

congrats on your new coop occupants!! They're so cute! No wonder the kids love them.

Amy said...

How fun! Can't wait to hear about your first eggs!!

Unknown said...

Three more cuties at your house! I don't know how you can stand it!

I'm sure the kids must just be absolutely in love with their new chicks. The male twin reminds me daily how he really, really wants to have chickens this year!

What fun!

~Andrea~

Dandy said...

I never thought I would ever say this but I'm kinda jealous you have chickens.

The best part about this is the way the kids are talking to them. So sweet and gentle!